Academic Qualifications | Teaching
| Research | Selected
Publications | Academic Service | Contact Details
- B.M., Xiangya School of Medicine, Central South University
- M.S., State key lab of Medical genetics, Central South University
- Ph.D., Hong Kong Baptist University
- 1) Neuro-pharmacological study and molecular targets-based drug development of Chinese medical compounds as anti-neurodegenerative diseases agents;
- 2) Regulatory mechanisms and biological functions of autophagy in central nervous system: physiological and translational studies.
Dr. Lu got his PhD in Hong Kong Baptist University. He spent 3 years in Icahn School of medicine at Mount Sinai for postdoctoral training before joining University of Macau as an assistant professor. Dr. Lu is an expert in neurobiology, cell biology and pharmacology. His major research interests are basic and translational study on neurodegenerative diseases, focusing at autophagy as a therapeutic target. Dr. Lu will combine biochemistry, cell biology and neurobiology approaches, and apply cell, fruit fly and transgenic mouse models to identify small molecular autophagy modulators with therapeutic potential for neurodegenerative diseases. Together with the local and aboard collaborators, Dr. Lu has published several important works in the high profile journal such as , Nature Communications, Autophagy, Chembiochem and Neurobiology of ageing .
Dr. Lu’s group is now looking for postgraduate students and research assistants who are interested in autophagy and neurodegenerative diseases research. For further information, please contact Dr. Lu at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chen L.L., Song J.X., Lu J.H., Yuan Z.W., Liu L.F., Duriarajan S.S.K., Li M*. (2014) “Corynoxine, a natural autophagy enhancer, promotes the clearance of alpha-synuclein via Akt/mTOR pathway”, J. Neuroimmune. Pharma. 2014, DOI: 10.1007/s11481-014-9522-8. [Epub ahead of print]
Impact factor: 3.802
- Han L.F.*, Wang W.*, Lu J.H.*, Li F., Kong F.F., Zhu Y.P., Dong Z., Zhu J.L., Wen S., Zhou Q., Chen P., Ahmad S. and Sun J.. (2014). “AAV-sBTLA facilitates HSP70 vaccine-triggered prophylactic antitumor immunity inagainst a murine melanoma pulmonary metastasis model”. Cancer letters. 2014 Nov 28;354(2):398-406. *co-first author
Impact factor: 4.258
- Chua K.K., Chen L.L., Liu L.F., Duriarajan S.S.K., Lu J.H. and Li M.* (2014) “The Efficacy of Classical Chinese Medicine Formula Di-tan Decoction for Alzheimer’s disease” Chin. J. Integra. Med. (In press)
Impact factor: 1.059
- Lu J.H.*, He L.Q.*, Behrends C., Araki M., Arak K.,Wang Q.J., Catanzaro J.M., Friedman S. L., Zong W.X., Fiel M. I., Li M.and Yue Z.Y.* (2014) “NRBF2 regulates autophagy and prevents liver injury by modulating Atg14L-linked phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase III activity”. Nature Communications. 2014; 5:3920, DOI: 10.1038/ncomms4920.
Impact factor: 10.051
- Song J.X., Lu J.H., Liu L.F., Chen L. L., Durairajan S.S.K., Yue Z.Y., Zhang H.Q*. & Li M. * (2013) “HMGB1 is involved in autophagy inhibition caused by alpha-synuclein overexpression: a process modulated by the natural autophagy inducer Corynoxine B” Autophagy. 2014 Jan;10(1):144-54. DOI: 10.4161/auto.26751.
Impact factor: 12.042
- Lu J.H., Tan J.Q., Durairajan S.S.K., Liu LF, Zhang Z.H., Ma L., Shen H.M., Chan H.Y.* and Li M.* (2012) “Isorhynchophylline, a natural alkaloid, promotes the degradation of alpha-synuclein in neuronal cells via inducing autophagy.” Autophagy. 2012; 8(1):98-108. (Erratum in Autophagy. 2012; 8(5): 864-866.)
Impact factor: 12.042
- Lu J.H., Song J.X., Durairajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., and Li M.* (2012) “Chinese herbal medicinal Corynoxine B promotes the clearance of pathogenic protein aggregations associated with Parkinson’s disease via inducing autophagy”. ACTA Biophysica Sinica. (Suppl.1)2012, 28(7):21.
- Lu J.H., Ardah M.T., Duriarajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., Xie L.X., Fong W.F., Hasan M.Y., Huang J.D., El-Agnaf O.M.A.* and Li M.* (2011). “Baicalein Inhibits Formation of Alpha-synuclein Oligomers within Living Cells and Prevents Aβ Peptide Fibrillation and Oligomerization”. ChemBioChem. 2011,12:615-624.
Impact factor: 3.944
- He L.Q., Lu J.H., Yue Z.Y.* (2013) “Autophagy in ageing and ageing-associated diseases” (Invited Review). Acta Pharmacol Sin. 2013; 34: 605-11.
Impact factor: 2.35
- Durairajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., Lu J.H., Chen L.L., Yuan Q.J., Chung S.K., Huang L., Li X.S., Huang J.D.* and Li M.* (2012) “Berberine Ameliorates Beta-amyloid Pathology, Gliosis and Cognitive Impairment in an Alzheimer's Disease Transgenic Mouse Model”. Neurobiol. Aging 2012, 33: 2903-2919.
Impact factor: 6.16
- Liu L.F., Durairajan S.S.K., Lu J.H., Koo I. and Li M.* (2012) “In Vitro Screening on Amyloid Precursor Protein Modulation of Plants used in Ayurvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine for Memory Improvement”. J. Ethnopharmacol. 2012, 141(2): 754-760.
Impact factor: 2.755
- Man S.C., Chan K.W., Lu J.H., Durairajan S.S.K., Liu L.F. and Li M.* (2012) “Systematic Review on the Safety and Efficacy of Herbal Medicine for the Treatment of Vascular Dementia”. Evid-Based Compl. Alt. Med. (DOI:10.1155/ ecam/2012/426215)
Impact factor: 1.722
- Duriarajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., Lu J.H., Koo I., Maruyama K., Chung S.K., Huang J.D.* and Li M.* (2011). “Stimulation of Non-amyloidogenic Processing of Amyloid Precursor Protein by Cryptotanshinone Involves Activation and Translocation of ADAM-10 and PKC-alpha”. J. Alzheimer’s Dis. 2011, 25: 245-262.
Impact factor: 3.745
- Kum W.F., Durairajan S.S.K., Bian ZX, Man S.C., Lam Y.C., Xie L.X, Lu J.H.,Wang Y., Huang X.Z., Li M.* (2011). “Treatment of Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease with Traditional Chinese Herbal Medicine: a Randomized Placebo-controlled Pilot Clinical Study”. Evid-Based Compl. Alt. Med.2011; 2011: 724353.
Impact factor:: 4.774
- Duriarajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., Lu J.H., Koo I., Chung S.K., Maruyama K., Huang J.D. and Li M.* (2011) “Beberine Inhibits Abeta Production, Plaque Formation, Gliosis and Cognitive Deterioration in a Transgenic Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s disease”. Neurodegener. Dis. 2011; 8 (Suppl.1):1 (DOI:10.1159/000327701)
Impact factor: 3.056
- Xie L. X., Durairajan S.S.K., Lu J.H., Liu C.L., Kum W.F., Wang Y., Koo I., Wu W.K., Han D., Lao F., Huang J.D. and Li M.* (2010). “The Effect of Salvianolic acid B Combined with Laminar Shear Stress on TNF-alpha Stimulated Adhesion Molecule Expression in Human Aortic Endothelial Cells”. Clin. Hemorheol Microcirc. 44: 245-258.
- Zhu F.Z., Lu J.H., Liu X. P., Tan J.Q., Zhang Z.L., Chi J.W., Wu, L.Q., Liang D.S., Pan Q., Long Z.G., Dai H.P., Xia J.H., Zhang Z.H., Xia K.* (2009). Expression Profiling and Localization Analysis of Parkinson’s disease Associated Protein LRRK2. Chin. J. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 25: 1137-1142
- Chan W.S †., Durairajan S.S.K.†, Lu J.H., Xie L. X., Wang Y., Kum W.F., Koo I.,Yung K.K.L. and Li M.* (2009). “The Neuroprotective Effects of Astragaloside IV (AS-IV) in 6-OHDA-treated Nigral Primary Cell Culture”. Neurochem. Int. 55:414-422. († Co-first author).
Impact factor: 3.541
- Kum W. F., Gao J., Kumar D.S.S., Man S.C., Xie L.X., Lu J.H., Fong W.L. and Li M.* (2009) “Risk Factors in Development of Motor Complications in Chinese patients with Idiopathic Parkinson’s Disease”. J. Clin. Neurosci. 2009, 16: 1034-1037.
Impact factor: 1.17
- Lam Y. C., Kum W.F., Lu J.H., Durairajan S.S.D., Man S. C., Xu M., Zhang X. F., Huang X.Z. and Li M.* (2008) “Efficacy and Safety of Acupuncture for Idiopathic Parkinson’s disease: A Systematic Review”. J. Altern. Complem. Med. 2008, 14:663-671.
Impact factor: 1.628
- Xie L.X., Durairajan S.S.D., Liu C.L., Lu J.H., Kum W. F., Huang J. D., Liao F.L., Li M. *(2008) “The Effect of Salvianolic Acid B on TNF-alpha-stimulated Adhesion Molecule Expression under Flow Condition in Endothelial Cells”.Biorheology. 2008; 45: Suppl.42-43.
Impact factor: 2.273
- Man S.C., Durairajan S.S.D., Kum W. F., Lu J.H., Huang J.D., Cheng C.F., Chung V., Xu M. and Li M.* (2008) “Systematic Review of the Efficacy and Safety of Herbal Medicines for Alzheimer’s Disease”. J. Alzheimer’s Dis. 2008, 14: 209-223.
Impact factor: 5.101
- Jiahong Lu and Zhenyu Yue (2014) Book Chapter, “The Role of Autophagy in Parkinson’s disease”, in Book “ Autophagy- Biology and Diseases” (In press)
- Li M., Lu J.H., Durairajan S.S.K., Liu L.F. “Autophagy Inducing Compounds and the Uses Thereof” U.S. Non-provisional Patent Application No.US 13/420,628, 2013.
- Li M., Durairajan S.S.K., Liu L.F., Lu J.H. “Berberine Alkaloid as a Medicament for Prophylaxis and Treatment of Alzheimer's Disease” U.S. Provisional Patent Application No.61/609917, 2013.
Institute of Chinese Medical Sciences, University of Macau, Macao, China
Telephone: (853) 8822-4508