Prof. Allan B. I. Bernardo
Department of Psychology
Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS)
Room: Humanities and Social Sciences Building E21-3060
Telephone: +(853) 8822 8394
- Ph.D., 1992; Cognitive Psychology, Educational Psychology, Yale University
- M.Phil., 1991, Cognitive Psychology, Yale University
- M.S., 1990, Cognitive Psychology, Yale University
- B.A.(magna cum laude), 1987, Psychology, University of the Philippines- Diliman
- Editor Emeritus, The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher (Springer); Editor, 2003-2012.
- Associate Editor, Asian Journal of Social Psychology (Wiley/Blackwell), 2008-2013.
- Fulbright Fellowship (Advanced Research Award), Stony Brook University, New York, 2011
- International Award for Literacy Research, UNESCO Institute for Education 1996
- Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship, National Academy of Education (USA), 1996
- Outstanding Psychologist, Psychological Association of the Philippines, 2009.
- Academician, National Academy of Science and Technology (Philippines), 2007
- Achievement Award (Social Science Research), National Research Council of the Philippines, 2002.
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Student Search for Outstanding Teachers, Council of Student Organizations, De La Salle University, Philippines, 1998.
- Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Researcher, University of the Philippines, Diliman, 1995
- Chancellor's Award for Outstanding Teacher, University of the Philippines, Diliman, 1995
- Asian Association of Social Psychology: President, 2015-2017; President-Elect, 2013-2015;
- ASEAN Regional Union of Psychological Societies: Senior Adviser, 2010-present; President, 2008-2010, President-Elect, 2006-2008
- International Union of Psychological Science: Member, General Assembly; Member, Working Committee on Education of Psychologists, 2009-2012
- Philippine Social Science Council, Chair of the Board, 2008-2012
- Psychological Association of the Philippines: President, 2004-2008, Fellow, since 1996, Certified Educational Psychologist, 2009-present
- Association for Psychological Science, Member, 1988-present
- International Association of Applied Psychology, Member, 2008-present
- American Psychological Association, International Affiliate, 1988-present
- Lay theories, social beliefs/axioms, and values in intergroup relations
- Polyculturalism, national identities in postcolonial and transnational contexts
- Social psychology of unequal intergroup relations, socioeconomic growth and inequality
- Hope, positive psychology and well-being in collectivist cultures
- Sociocultural meaning systems, motivations, academic emotions, and learning
- Language and cognition in bilinguals/multilinguals
Selected Articles in Refereed Journals (2010-present; including articles in press and published online)
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Daganzo, M. A. A., & Ocampo, A. C. G. (in press). Abusive supervision and well-being of Filipino migrant workers in Macau: Consequences for self-esteem and heritage culture detachment. Social Indicators Research. Published online September 2016, doi: 10.1007/s11205-016-1446-7
- Chan, H. K., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (in press). Measuring depression, anxiety, and stress in Macau university students. Asia-Pacific Psychiatry.
- Hu, Q., Bernardo, A. B. I., Lam, S. W., & Cheang, P. K. (in press). Individualism-collectivism orientations and coping styles of cyberbullying victims in Chinese culture. Current Psychology.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Estrellado, A. F. (2017). Locus-of-hope and help-seeking intentions of Filipino battered women victims of intimate partner violence. Current Psychology, 36, 66-75.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Wang, T. Y., Pesigan, I. J. A., & Yeung, S. S. (2017). Pathways from collectivist coping to life satisfaction among Chinese: The roles of locus-of-hope. Personality and Individual Differences, 106, 253-256.
- Clemente, J. A. R., Daganzo, M. A. A., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Pangan, C. A. C. (2017). Filipino adolescents’ conceptions of socioeconomic mobility: A consensual qualitative research. Child Indicators Research, 10, 117-140.
- Nalipay, M. J. N., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Mordeno, I. G. (2017). Posttraumatic growth in survivors of a natural disaster: The role of the social axioms of religiosity, reward for application, and social cynicism. The Journal of Positive Psychology, 12, 342-353.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Clemente, J. A. R., & Nalipay, M. J. N. (2016). What personal value types are associated with beliefs on the social value of religion? Psychological Studies, 61, 170-180.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Nalipay, M. J. N. (2016). Social axioms as social foundations of locus-of-hope: A study in three Asian cultural groups. Personality and Individual Differences, 95, 110-113.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Salanga, M. G. C., Tjipto, S., Hutapea, B., Yeung, S. S., & Khan, A. (2016). Contrasting lay theories of polyculturalism and multiculturalism: Associations with essentialist beliefs of race in six Asian cultural groups. Cross-Cultural Research, 50, 231-250.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Salanga, M. G. C., Khan, A., & Yeung, S. S. (2016). Internal and external loci-of-hope predict use of individual and collaborative learning strategies: Evidence from university learners in four Asian cities. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 25, 367-376.
- Liu, J. H., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2016). What should a social psychology for social change look like in Asia? Reflections on scientific research aimed at solving social problems and generating new knowledge with “a theory of culture change at its centre.” Journal of Pacific-Rim Psychology, 10, e14, 1-5.
- Lucas, R. I. G., Bernardo, A. B. I., Rojo-Laurilla, M. (2016). Reasons for amotivation in Filipino ESL learners: Exploring some correlates. Porta Linguarum, 26, 109-119.
- Nalipay, M. J. N., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Mordeno, I. G. (2016). Social complexity beliefs predict posttraumatic growth in survivors of a natural disaster. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 8, 559-567.
- Qi, X., Zaroff, C. M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2016). Autism Spectrum Disorder etiology: Lay beliefs and the role of cultural values and social axioms. Autism: International Journal of Research and Practice, 20, 673-686.
- Villavicencio, F. T., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2016). Beyond math anxiety: Positive emotions predict mathematics achievement, self-regulation and self-efficacy. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 25, 415-422.
- Yu, J., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Zaroff, C. M. (2016). The Chinese version of the Schizotypal Personality Questionnaire: Factor structure replication and invariance across sex. Asia-Pacific Psychiatry, 8, 226-237.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). Broadening psychology discourses on poverty and connecting with conversations on social change. Silliman Journal, 56(3), 227-236.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). Hope in early adolescence: Measuring internal and external locus-of-hope. Child Indicators Research, 8, 699-715.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). Poverty, privilege, and prejudice: Social psychological dimensions of socioeconomic inequalities in the Philippines. Silliman Journal, 56(3), 179-203.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Ganotice, F. A., & King, R. B. (2015). Motivation gap and achievement gap between public and private high schools in the Philippines. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher, 24(4), 657-667.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Liu, J. H. (2015). Sharpening our understanding of social problems in Asian societies: The roles of culture and theory in socially engaged social psychology. Journal of Pacific-Rim Psychology, 9(2), 1-7.
- Du, H., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Yeung, S. S. (2015). Locus-of-hope and life satisfaction: The mediating roles of personal self-esteem and relational self-esteem. Personality and Individual Differences, 83, 228-233.
- Mante-Estacio, M. J., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). Illusory transparency in bilinguals: Does language of text affect bilingual readers’ perspective taking in reading? Current Psychology, 34, 744-752.
- Yu, J., Zaroff, C. M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). The hypervigilant misperception of Duchenne smiles in schizotypy. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches, 7, 348-358.
- Yu, J., Zaroff, C. M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2015). The use of digit ratios and dextrality to detect atypical neurodevelopment in schizotypy. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 17, 104-105.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Clemente, J. A. R., & Liem, G. A. D. (2014). Describing values of Filipino adolescents: A comparison with pan-cultural norms. Journal of Tropical Psychology, 4, e2 doi:10.1017/jtp.2014.2
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Estrellado, A. F. (2014). Measuring hope in the Philippines: Validating the short version of the Locus-of-Hope Scale in Filipino.Social Indicators Research, 119, 1649-1661.
- Liu, J.H., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2014). Social psychology for social change: Foundations for and introduction to a program of action-oriented research. Journal of Pacific-Rim Psychology, 8(2), 29-34.
- Pinquart, M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2014). Teaching of psychology in countries with advanced versus developing economies. Psychology Teaching Review, 20, 26-40.
- Yu, J., Zaroff, C. M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2014). The hypervigilant misperception of Duchenne smiles in schizotypy. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches Published online November 2014, doi:10.1080/17522439.2014.983960
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Exploring social cognitive dimensions of sexual prejudice in Filipinos. Philippine Journal of Psychology, 46(2), 19-48.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Hope grounded in belief: Direct and indirect influence of social axioms on dispositional hope. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 54, 522-528.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Social dominance orientation and attitudes towards the poor: Contrasting lower and higher socioeconomic groups in the Philippines. Philippine Journal of Psychology, 46(1), 39-69.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., Rosenthal, L., & Levy, S. R. (2013). Polyculturalism and attitudes towards people from other countries. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 37, 335-344.
- Dela Rosa, E. D., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Are two achievement goals better than one? Filipino students’ achievement goals, learning strategies and affect. Learning and Individual Differences, 27, 97-101.
- Dela Rosa, E. D., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Testing multiple goals theory in an Asian context: Filipino students’ motivation and academic achievement. International Journal of School and Educational Psychology, 1, 47-57.
- Ganotice, F. A., Bernardo, A. B. I., & King, R. B. (2013). Adapting the Facilitating Conditions Questionnaire (FCQ) for bilingual Filipino adolescents: Validating English and Filipino versions. Child Indicators Research, 6, 237-256.
- Kintanar, N. S. M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Hope and internal work models of the self and others: A correlational study on Filipino adolescents. Psychological Studies, 58, 48-53.
- Villavicencio, F. T., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Negative emotions moderate the relationship between self-efficacy and achievement of Filipino students. Psychological Studies, 58, 225-232.
- Villavicencio, F. T., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2013). Positive academic emotions moderate the relationship between self-regulation and achievement. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 83, 329-340.
- Zell, E., Su, R., Li, H., Ho, M. R., Hong, S., Kumkale, T., Rossier, J., Cai, H., Roccas, S., Arce-Michel, J., de Sousa, C., Diaz-Loving, R., Botero, M. M., Mannetti, L., Garcia, C., Carrera, P., Cabalero, A., Ikemi, M., Chan, D., Bernardo, A., Garcia, F., Brechan, I., Maio, G., & Albarracin, D. (2013). Cultural differences in attitudes towards action and inaction: The role of dialecticism. Social Psychological & Personality Science, 4, 521-528.
- Barrios, A. L., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2012). The acquisition of case marking by L1 Chabacano and L1 Cebuano learners of L2 Filipino: Influence of actancy structure on transfer. Language and Linguistics, 13, 499-521.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2012). Perceived legitimacy of parental control over academic behaviors and students’ academic adjustment. European Journal of Psychology of Education. 27, 557-571.
- Ganotice, F. A., Bernardo, A. B. I., & King, R. B. (2012). Testing the factorial invariance of the English and Filipino versions of the Inventory of School Motivation with bilingual students in the Philippines. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment, 30, 298-303.
- Liem, A. D., Martin, A. J., Nair, E., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Prasetya, P. H. (2011). Are basic values fully crystallized in middle adolescence? Evidence from Singapore, the Philippines, Indonesia, and Australia. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 42, 146-154.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2010). Exploring Filipino adolescents’ perceptions of the legitimacy of parental authority over academic behaviors. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. 31, 271-280.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2010). Extending hope theory: Internal and external locus of trait hope. Personality and Individual Differences, 49, 944-949.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Ismail, R. (2010). Social perceptions of achieving students and achievement goals of students in Malaysia and the Philippines. Social Psychology of Education, 13, 385-407.
- Liem, G. A. D., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2010). Epistemological beliefs and theory of planned behavior: Examining beliefs about knowledge and knowing as distal predictors of Indonesian tertiary students’ intention to study. The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher. 19, 127-142.
Selected Book Chapters (2009 to present):
- Dong, Y.T., Bernardo, A. B. I., & Zaroff, C. M. (2016). Stress, positive psychological resources, and mental health of migrant Chinese postgraduate students in Macau. In R.B. King & A.B.I. Bernardo (Eds), The psychology of Asian learners: A Festschrift in honor of David Watkins (pp. 471-484). Singapore: Springer.
- Salanga, M. G. C., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2016). Filipino students’ reasons for not being motivated in school: Insights into their implicit beliefs about motivation and learning. In R.B. King & A.B.I. Bernardo (Eds), The psychology of Asian learners: A Festschrift in honor of David Watkins (pp. 85-98). Singapore: Springer.
- Pinquart, M., & Bernardo, A. B. I. (2014). Results of the IUPsyS survey on psychology education and training. In R. K. Silbereisen, P. Ritchie, & J. Pandey (Eds.), Psychology education and training: A global perspective (pp. 21-44). London: Psychology Press.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Liem, G. A. D. (2013). Mapping the spaces of cross-cultural educational psychology. In G.A.D. Liem, & A.B.I. Bernardo (Eds.), Advancing cross-cultural perspectives on educational psychology: A Festschrift for Dennis M. McInerney (pp. 345-357). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publications.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Ouano, J. A. (2013). Social goals, sense of community and disconnectedness in school: An exploratory study of three ethnoreligious groups in the Philippines. In G.A.D. Liem, & A.B.I. Bernardo (Eds.), Advancing cross-cultural perspectives on educational psychology: A Festschrift for Dennis M. McInerney (pp. 231-251). Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publications.
- Bernardo, A. B. I., & Gaerlan, M. J. M. (2011). Non-native English students learning in English: Reviewing and reflecting on the research. In R. Jaidev, M.L.C. Sadorra, J.O. Wong, M.C. Lee, & B.P. Lorente (Eds.), Global perspectives, local initiatives: Reflections and practices in ELT (pp. 1-9). Singapore: National University of Singapore, CELC.
- Bernardo, A. B. I. (2009). Exploring the links between social axioms and the epistemological beliefs held by Filipino students. In K. Leung & M. H. Bond (Eds.), Psychological aspects of social axioms: Understanding global belief systems (pp. 163-175). New York: Springer Science.
- Introduction to Psychology
- Positive Psychology
- Culture and Psychology (Postgraduate)
- Lay Theories and Intergroup Relations (Postgraduate)