Method for the Selection of the Chief
Executive of the Macao Special
1. The Chief Executive shall be elected by a broadly representative Election Committee in accordance with this Law and appointed by the Central People's Government.
2. The Election Committee shall be composed of 300 members from the following sectors:
Industrial, commercial and financial sectors: 100
Cultural and educational sectors and other professions: 80
Labour, social services, religious and other sectors: 80
Representatives of members of the Legislative Council,
representatives of members of the municipal organs,
Macao deputies to the National People's Congress,
and representatives of Macao members of the National
Committee of the Chinese People s Political
Consultative Conference: 40
The term of office of the Election Committee shall be five years.
3. The delimitation of the various sectors, the organisations in each sector eligible to return Election Committee members and the number of such members returned by each of these organizations shall be prescribed by an electoral law enacted by the Macao Special Administrative Region in accordance with the principles of democracy and openness.
Corporate bodies in.various sectors shall, on their own, elect members to the Election Committee, in accordance with the number of seats allocated and the election methods as prescribed by the electoral law.
Members of the Election Committee shall vote in their individual capacities.
4. Candidates for the office of Chief Executive may be nominated jointly by not less than 50 members of the Election Committee. Each member may nominate only one candidate.
5. The Election Committee shall, on the basis of the list of the nominees, elect the Chief Executive designate by secret ballot on a one-person-one-vote basis. The specific election method shall be prescribed by the electoral law.
6. The first Chief Executive shall be selected in accordance with the "Decision of the National People's Congress on the Method for the Formation of the First Government, the First Legislative Council and the First Judiciary of the Macao Special Administrative Region".
7. If there is a need to amend the method for selecting the Chief Executive for the terms subsequent to the year 2009, such amendments must be made with the endorsement of a two-thirds majority of all the members of the Legislative Council and the consent of the Chief Executive, and they shall be reported to the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress for approval.